New Data Types
DATE – ANSI-compliant date data type
TIME – ANSI-compliant time data type with variable precision
DATETIMEOFFSET – timezone aware/preserved datetime
DATETIME2 – like DATETIME, but with variable precision and large date range
GEOMETRY – “flat earth” spatial data type
GEOGRAPHY – “round earth” spatial data type
HIERARCHYID – represents hierarchies using path enumeration model
New Index Types
New Parameter Type
Table Valued Parameters
useful to better manage NULL and ZERO values in SQL Server
Group By enhancement with GROUPING SETS
provides an efficient way to perform multiple DML operations
Assign a default value to a local variable
You can assign default value to local variable in the declaration statement
Seperation of concerns. Different aspects of the application can be divided into Model, View and Controller.
1) SEO friendly URL by design
2) Clean View Markup (no additional HTML emitted)
3) Faster than traditional ASP.NET (by default because of lack of viewstate and clean markup.)
4) Full control over rendered HTML
5) We can easily and quickly write RESTful implemenations.
6) Complex applications can be easily managed
7) Support unit testing as a part of Visual Studio 2008 and 2010
8) Multiple views using the same model
1) Quickly provide the CRUD operations, along with lazy/eager loading options.
2) EF has the best LINQ providers.
3) easy to implement. Development wiht EF4 is fast and streamlined.
4) less coding required to accomplish complex tasks
5) Increase code scalabiltiy.
Here is some solutions if you are facing Intellisense issue of Razor Syntax in visual studio 2010.
1) Install/Repair “ASP.NET Web Pages with Razor Syntax” from here
2) Add below tag under <appSettings> section of your web.config file.
For MVC4 <add key=”webpages:Version” value=”126.96.36.199″ />
For MVC3 <add key=”webpages:Version” value=”188.8.131.52″ />
Recently, I came across one issue during installation of MVC3 in my machine.
As per new project requirement, I have to work in MVC4 RC. Due to some issue, I was not able to install visual studio 2010 service pack 1 in my machine hence at usual last option was to format the PC 🙂 . After formatting, Visual Studio 2010, Service Pack1 and MVC4 installed and worked perfectly.
After few days, I want to take reference of my old project which was developed in MVC3. I opened the project but it showed me error message that visual studio can not the load web project because it doesn’t know project type of my web project. I checked the project template and found that it is missing in the visual studio. I thought to install AspNetMVC3ToolsUpdateSetup.msi to install MVC3 back on my machine. I started installation but after few minutes it started rolled back everything. I thought this may be due to any reason like my visual studio is open, visual studio process in there in memory so I restarted my pc and first started installation. This time setup did the same and failed with some error. (Later on I found that this was due to newer version of NuGet which is installed by Mvc4)
Now I searched on google (the final way to resolve any issue) and found one article here , This article suggested to extract AspNetMVC3ToolsUpdateSetup.msi and install only aspnetmvc3vs2010tools.msi package which is responsible to install MVC3 template in the Visual Studio 2010. I did the same and it worked for me.
As second alternative you can go to Add Remove Programs in the control panel and remove NuGet and the reinstall Mvc3 and the templates will be available. I didn’t try this solution because I was afraid that it may affect MVC4.
Update: In order to build and run MVC3 application, you will need system.web.mvc.dll (V3.0). To install all the required dlls for MVC3, You will need to run “aspnetmvc3.msi” which is available in the same folder where you extracted main MSI file.